Goulburn Pre-School is a community based, not for profit organisation providing a high quality Pre-School program for children 3 to 6 years of age in the Goulburn area.
Our Pre-School began operation on 23rd June 1986 in River St. It grew from a proactive group of parents and community members who recognised the need for additional Pre-School places in Goulburn. Their dedication and hard work resulted in them accessing a land grant and recurrent funding which allowed for the current premises to be built at Mount Street. This allowed the Pre-School to add an additional classroom to increase enrolment numbers.
Goulburn Pre-School has continued to grow and has adapted to best meet the needs of our families over the following years. The extended hours program supports families in accessing Pre-School who previously may not have been able to make this choice. We strongly believe in an inclusive and welcoming environment at Pre-School which is supported through our program.
Goulburn Pre-School continues to plan for a very strong future in providing high quality education for children and supporting families. We remain strong advocates and continue to lobby state and federal governments for increased funding for NSW Pre-Schools.
Goulburn Pre-School is a not for profit community based service.
We are partially funded by the NSW State Government through the NSW Department of Education and Communities (DEC). Our Pre-School is licensed for 40 children aged 3 to 6 years per day and operates as per the NSW DEC school terms (41 weeks per year).
Our opening hours are 8:00am to 4:30pm for extended hours program. The Pre-School program operates between 8.00am and 3:30pm.
We are managed by a Management Committee elected annually from our membership base. They work closely with our Director (Nominated Supervisor). Meetings are held twice per term and all parents, carers and interested community members are most welcome to attend.
As a community based early childhood setting, we believe each and every child in our community has a right to access an early childhood program of high quality that is affordable and reflective of the needs of the local community in the provision of education and care.
In early childhood, and throughout life, relationships are crucial to a sense of belonging. Childhood is a time to be, to seek and make meaning of the world. Becoming emphasises learning to participate fully and actively in society.
Belonging, Being and Becoming: The Early Years Learning Framework for Australia 2009:7
At Goulburn Pre-School we believe:
- In acknowledging the traditional owners and custodians of the land on which we gather together to share our day. We recognise Goulburn as a meeting place where many Aboriginal people came together to share their stories, experiences and culture as we do each day at Pre-School.
- The dignity and rights of each child is maintained through strong connections with educators, who engage each child to feel secure, valued and included. (National Quality Standards, QA 5)
- Secure, respectful and reciprocal relationships form the basis of strong partnerships between families and educators. A sense of connection and belonging is supported and nurtured for all members of our Pre-School community. (National Quality Standards, QA 6)
- Play is the child’s way of learning and making sense of their world. We celebrate and acknowledge the children’s discoveries and support children’s agency to make decisions and choices which influence their experiences and enhance their learning. (National Quality Standards, QA 1)
- Each child’s current knowledge, ideas, culture, abilities and interests are the foundation of the program. Intentional teaching and spontaneous interactions between children and educators is thoughtful and informed. There is a balance between educator and child-initiated learning experiences. (National Quality Standards, QA 1)
- The diversity of our children and their families will be reflected and respected in our practices within our Pre-School community. Interactions with children and families will reflect respect, acceptance and empathy for everyone (National Quality Standards, QA 6)
- Environments will be safe, secure and welcoming for each child, their family, our staff and visitors to our Pre-School. The health and wellbeing of all is promoted and supported. (National Quality Standard, QA 2 and 3)
- In nurturing respect, care and appreciation for our natural world. We acknowledge our responsibility to educate for sustainability to ensure the future of our planet. (National Quality Standards, QA 3)
- In ensuring privacy and confidentiality for the children, their families and educators.
- In a strong commitment to maintaining high standards of professional practice and integrity by supporting ongoing learning and reflective practice. We acknowledge our role as professionals in supporting and mentoring future educators. (National Quality Standards, QA 4)
- Consistency in Governance and Management supports the ongoing smooth operation of the Pre-School. Ongoing planning, reflection and quality improvement processes continue to ensure best practice in all areas of Goulburn Pre-School. (National Quality Standards, QA 7)